Monday 10 November 2014

Reflection plus Appraisal

Before the presentation I was actually quite stressed, as I was the last presenter.
Normally I would prefer to be the first presenter to get it over and done with. The most stressful part was how Brad comment and advise other presenters hence I felt the expectations on needing to absorb and adopt them in my presentation. However, when I stood in front of the class the nerves disappeared as my audiences were classmates that I have been interacting with for the past weeks. So, it was actually quite a comfortable experience to be sharing my work with them.

I have to confess that I did not prepare for the presentation as I had other assignments due that day. I actually overslept that morning hence I did not have time to prepare pretty slides and an organized speech. This presentation really forced me to prepare within a limited time (e.g. creating the slides on the train).  Thus I have learnt my lesson to prepare my work ahead of time so I will have time to familiarize myself with the content. This will prevent me from using fillers in my presentation. I didn’t even realize until I got the feedbacks by my peers that I keep agreeing with myself and answering my own questions. >< Also, due to the lack of practice I was unable to fully make use of the video I showed and give a strong conclusion.

After the presentation it is very motivating that my presentation allowed people to have something to take away. I am really thankful to have such supportive and friendly professor and peers to work with this semester. Even though it is a no modular credit module, it is actually the tutorial I enjoyed most this semester. Also, it is also the first time I had written so many drafts for an essay. Haha. I am actually someone that procrastinate A LOT which result in me starting to write only a few days before my essay due date. However, after this module I will definitely adopt the drafting method and make sure I edit my work over and over again.  I realize when I only write once and submit, there is a tendency to deceive myself that my work make sense and do not need further improvement because of time constrain.

Brad’s lessons are amazing as he is never boring and the whole lesson is always filled with the class thinking and interacting. The biggest take away from this presentation is how Brad have emphasize the need for all of us to re-orientate ourselves and really see the competition around us instead of staying in our “kampong” environment. Even though it is stressful thinking about it but I would choose to look at it positively:). With practice I am sure all of us will improve and will be able to share our ideas effectively:)


6 comments:

  1. Dear Jessica,

    Thank you for this detailed and honest reflection on the presentation and bits of the course. (And thanks too for the accolades!)

    It's interesting that you state that you didn't prepare much for the talk. Actually, you did quite well, with a clear structure, fine eye contact, and a cheerful, knowing presence. This seems to validate my point that since you all had already written several drafts of your essays, you probably had internalized the information. It was then only a matter of telling the story of what you had learned. I also appreciate that you can take my 'pressurized words' positively. In fact, I truly believe that because our environment is so competitive (especially when it comes to work and study), we need to 'fortify' ourselves by making use of any and all opportunities to practice, while at the same time also reflecting on our approaches and incorporating the most effective strategies. You've done exactly that.

    Best wishes as you write and present in the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Brad:)
      Thank You for your feedback.:)
      Really enjoyed your classes and I will definitely apply what you taught.

      Best wishes as you continue to teach and inspire students!

      Delete
  2. Hi Jessica,

    I think you did great for your presentation. You were very calm and composure during your presentation. There is some mistakes you made such as use of filters.

    Kai Teng

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kai teng:)

      Thanks for your comment! hehe I am going to leave my comments on your reflection now!!:)

      Delete
  3. Hello Jessica!

    Sorry for this late comment! I am truly impressed by your presentation! Your 'aura' is definitely something that I admire. Your content and style in the presentation also leave me a deep impression. I can still remember clearly the picture that you put on the first slide of your presentation.

    I hope you can continue your good presentation skills in your next presentation!

    Ying Hui:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ying hui!
      Thanks you for your compliments!

      All the best for your future presentations too!

      Delete