Wednesday 12 November 2014

Critical reflection

In ES1102, peer and tutor review was carried out in class and through online platform like our blogs and Facebook. Throughout the module, we have to give feedback to peers’ writing like the reflection, reader response and problem solution essay blog assignments. I feel that this is an effective learning process with friendly classmates who are willing to take the effort to give constructive feedback as well as being receptive to feedback. Peer feedback also makes learning less stressful and creates an open environment for learning to occur because making mistakes is not an embarrassment but an opportunity for everyone to learn. Tutor feedbacks were also very detailed and encouraging.

During class, the tutor often prompts us to give feedback to our peers work. This process trains our critical thinking and the ability to give constructive feedback as well as compliments. I feel that this is lacking in other tutorials of other modules I attended. Very often, after presentations when the professor asks if anyone have and questions or feedback, I observe that most feedbacks are too critically and focus on pinpointing mistakes. As a result, the skills I would definitely transfer to other modules would be to give constructive feedback. 


The emphasis on peer and tutor feedback is what makes the module unique from other modules and more fun. It is very nice learn in an interactive environment when everyone is supportive. The feedback our Tutor gave after each draft is also very effective. In other modules, very often learning stops at the submission day. After receiving back the feedback of the essay, there is no need for further refinement and correction. Thus it is very common to have recurring mistakes in writing and not corrected. After this module, I would utilize the effectiveness of peer and tutor feedback and get my peers to help me read my drafts and go for consultation with professors. I would also take charge of my learning and not stop at the final submission because we are always one draft away from making out arguments more convincing. :) This would require a lot of discipline to start my work early and not do last minute work!

Lastly, the writing skills I learnt from this module is also very applicable to my writing in future. The biggest take away from peer and tutor feedback for me would be that contributing and seeking feedback is not that intimidating after all because it is not only helpful for my individual learning but also benefits everyone else!

6 comments:

  1. Hello Jessica!

    I agree that the peer feedback is really helpful, especially the sincere comments you have for my drafts! I really appreciate your effort and time to comment on my posts and help me to write a better draft!

    Thank you for so friendly and helpful! I learn a lot from you!

    Ying Hui:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ying Hui!!

      Thank you for the feedback!
      I learnt a lot from you too:)

      All the best for finals!:)

      Delete
  2. Thank you, Jessica, for this well developed and insightful critical reflection. You do a thorough job of reviewing the feedback component of our course and the way that both giving and receiving feedback can impact a student refining 'each draft' in specific and enhancing critical thinking in general. It’s also interesting that you note that " peer feedback makes learning less stressful and creates an open environment for learning."

    Certainly, we readers can understand from this essay that you value having had the opportunity to participate in peer reviews. I’m glad you found great benefit in that. Do you think there will be a chance for you to give and get feedback from peers in other courses? In short, will there be any transfer of this 'skill' to your writing in other courses?

    Whatever the case, you’ve done very well with your writing throughout this term, Jessica, and I can see lots of progress. Thank you for all the effort. Please enjoy the rest of your learning journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Brad:)

      Thank you for your feedback:) It is very motivating!:) Thank you again for being such a patient and inspiring tutor!:)

      Delete
    2. I feel that in other courses it is rare for formal peer feedback to take place as I have not experienced it. However, with my friends taking the same module, it is highly possible to transfer this skills by giving feedback to their writing as well as receiving feedback from them:)

      Delete
  3. Hello Jessica!

    It's been great knowing and working with you! I've learnt a lot from you, from the day we partner each other for the reader response to reading our essays, to your presentation! I love hearing your feedback because i often get to see things from different perspective through your feedback hehe!

    Thank you for everything, and all the best for finals! I know you will do well!!

    Love,
    Ivy!

    ReplyDelete