Wednesday 10 September 2014

Week 4 Reflective Post

After reading the title, I had a hard time thinking of a significant event, as there seem to be various events that shaped my character and attitude towards life. Hence, I decided to explore some of the unique experiences that were significant. Eventually, after hours of reflection, one significant event that had shaped my life and the person I have become was my father’s mini supermarket business venture when I was primary one.

It was a significant event as the business affected my family’s everyday routine. Both my parents spent more time working, and less time with my siblings and I. In order to spend more time with us, my parents resorted to bringing the three of us to the shop whenever we were alone at home. At only the age of seven, I started “working” at my father’s shop, which was a really memorable experience. From young, I helped in all types of miscellaneous work in the shop like cashiering, stock replenishing, stocktaking, cleaning, etc. With the experiences, I have grown to be a more resilient and responsible person.

However, things were not that all smooth sailing. I had to sacrifice my weekends to help out at the shop and sometimes stayed up till past midnight as the shop opened till late at night. As I was only in primary school, I recall throwing tantrums because I was tired. Yet, my parents were always patient and never reprimanded me. They even tidy up a room in the shop for me so I can rest whenever I am tired.


This experience have not only helped me grow into a stronger person, but also made me cherish my family even more due to the times we spent together at the mini supermarket. (All the hard work, late night suppers, movies and family time) Without this experience, I would have led a completely different life and consequently became a different person. Even though there were unhappy memories but I am thankful for all that I have been through which really brought my family closer together. I love my familyJ<3 

6 comments:

  1. This is an interesting reflection, Jessica. When I visited small family shops in the past and saw children helping I always wondered what the perspective of the kids was. How would they view the work, the effort expended by the parents? Did they get tired? Did they enjoy the routine?

    Now I know, thanks to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jessica,
    thank you for such a journal that we can relate so much!! When I was young, I always admire children who are able to their parent's little assistance in their 'mama' shop business!
    I totally understand the feeling of being tired hence throwing tantrum, but I guess that's part and parcel of being a kid who is growing up!! Now we will be able to understand what our parents are going through more :)
    Glad that these experiences brought you closer to your family, and nurtured you into a stronger person, and I think you definitely are! :)

    JIAYOUS!! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brad! thanks for the comment:) After the experience at my Dad's shop, I actually feel that work is fun even though it is tiring and that setting up a business is definitely not easy. It was a huge commitment to maintain the business as my parents would have to go to work everyday even if they are not feeling well. Also, unlike other families, sundays are not rest day.
    I do like the the routine as it was actually fun and an avenue to escape from school work. haha. As i have two other siblings, helping out at the shop was enjoyable when we finish tasks given by my parents together:):).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ivy! Thanks for the comment:) haha yeah! Its a kid's thing to throw tantrum when they are tired. When I recall the times i throw tantrum I actually feel remorseful and feel the love my parents have for me^^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Jessica, this is quite an unique experience! You have such an early 'work experience' when you were just seven! I wonder this experience will inspire you to become an entrepreneur in the future!

    Thanks for sharing!

    Ying Hui:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ying hui!
      Yes it was really a unique and memorable experience! and Yes! I think my final career goal will be to set up my own business:):)

      Delete