Thursday 21 August 2014

Descriptive Reflection: My English Language learning journey

I am from a family that speaks predominantly in Chinese and dialect. However, both my parents had background in English language during their schooling years. Hence, I have been exposed to the English language since young.  Reflecting on my learning journey, I have always held a mediocre attitude towards the English language.  One of the reasons could be due to my family background as I always thought at least I am not failing since both my parents failed their English O level.

Unlike Chinese, English was always harder to do well and learn, as a result I have always focused more on Chinese compared to English. The difference was distinct as even though I put in similar amount of effort for both subjects, my Chinese Language grades were always better. 

Also, I rarely put in effort in studying for English as compared to other subjects in primary and secondary school as it was difficult to identify what to study. Even though many teachers had emphasized on regular revision, I lacked the motivation. I can still remember vividly trying to do last minute studying like cramming vocabulary and idioms to prepare for exams but it was futile effort as evident from my poor results. 

However, General paper was different from English language in JC years. GP was more interesting as we could write on various topics and explore issues that interested us. Furthermore, we were exposed to real world examples which broadened my perspectives. Looking back, I lacked the perseverance to improve on my writing hence landing myself in this module. Now that I am in this module, I feel optimistic for this opportunity to improve on my writing skills. It is important as studying the Social Sciences requires me to regularly write research essays. 

edited.

4 comments:

  1. First of all, I must say that your feelings about your 'English Journey' is exactly the same as mine! Also, I think your attitude towards English (optimistic for this opportunity) is commendable! Hope that I can learn more from you in the classes!

    Now, I have to comment according to the rubrics of Critical Reflection. In terms of content, you have described and analysed your reasons for 'poorer' results in English. Also, I think there is some critical thinking component about 'why are you thinking in this way'.

    In terms of organisation, the post is coherent and 'signals forward thinking/future directions'.

    Lastly, in terms of language, there is fluency and cohesion in your post and I can understand your post without much difficulty.

    Thanks for sharing your post! I really enjoy your post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Jessica, like you mentioned, I too lacked the motivation to do regular revision and practice on my writing skills. I do hope that through this module, we can all improve on our writing skills which is essential when doing our research papers.

    The development of ideas flow throughout the post and there is adequate development in each paragraph. However, you mentioned that you focus more on Chinese yet you put in similar amount of effort when studying for English and Chinese. This seems to be contradicting. Please do correct me if I am wrong regarding this.

    Like Yinghui, I could also understand your post without much difficulty. However, what I have notice is that there are too many "I" throughout the post and this apply to my own blog post as well. I believe this is because it is a reflective post regarding our own English learning journey and thus, it seems to be unavoidable to use the word "I" so frequently.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Jessica, for this post. It's generally clear, comprehensive and yet fairly concise. Considering that you were disinclined to study English, you've done very well. As this essay shows in terms of expression, you can definitely improve, but you have good fluency already.

    Here are some examples to consider:

    1) However, both my parents have background in English language during their schooling years hence I am exposed to the English language since young.

    &

    Unlike Chinese, English was always harder to do well and learn, as a result I have always focused more on Chinese compared to English.

    (comma splice/run on)

    2) Even though many teachers have emphasized on regular revision … (tense)

    &

    GP was more interesting as we could write on various topics and explore issues that interest us

    3) PUNCTUATION IN THE LAST PARAGRAPH…


    I look forward to working with you this term.

    ReplyDelete